View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 If you use PMI rope READ THIS!!! 

Post Grigri Descending Technique
Quote:
When I use the grigri I open it all the way and use my right hand to control desent

I think that is a good technique to use. If you use a biner or similar redirect of the rope feeding below the Grigri and handling some of the friction there should not be any bunching and pinching of the rope by the internal cam of the Grigri. Also, this technique allows for a smother descend than using the handle and as the main brake for the rope. imo. :idea:

Fri May 30, 2008 11:29 am

Post Re: If you use PMI rope READ THIS!!!
Any new revelations about this? I didn't research the rope Mich till after the fact. I climbed rads with 10 mm ezbend a few short climbs. Next day noticed it was lumpy. Did research and found this. Also, called Pmi and was told rope can't be used with gri gri and to not use it anymore.
Thanks!

Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:41 am

Climbers have been reporting that the ZK-2 Rope Wrench causes lumps in the core in Sterling HTP 10mm (also sold as Snakebite). No reports of the Rope Wrench causing this in 11mm or greater static kernmantles or double braids. I haven't been using static kernmantles in a long time, I never had problems with lumps in my 10mm Sterling HTP over many climbs and many long descents on the Grigri (the original, not the Grigri II).
-AJ

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:34 pm
Profile WWW
Curmudgeonly Rogue

I use a variety of ropes while climbing and teaching. My favorite, however, is 9mm PMI EZbend. I climb regularly using both a RAD system (with Grigri II) and DRT using Beeline splittail and trad B42 and an ascender on the footloop. Very taditional and simple!

Occasionally, on descents, I will use my descending rack rather than the Grigri. Faster, smoother, and a more fun ride to the ground, if I am done and do not intend to be doing any traversing etc. during descent.

I have had lumps in the 9mm rope before but I have found that if I simply climb in the opposite direction along the rope the next time I use the rope that the lumps take care of themselves and go away. Its not really a problem for me.

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2