View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 5:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Traversing tree to tree using a grapnel & 2 short throwlines 

Post Traversing tree to tree using a grapnel & 2 short throwlines
Here is a video showing a traverse from tree to tree using a homemade grapnel and two short throwlines. Usually I use the grapnel with one long throwline but on this trip I forgot the 150' throwline and had to make due with what I had on hand. The video also features 2 foot hooks for temporary positioning. The video was shot in May 2017 in southeast Ohio between a Sycamore tree and a Sugar Maple on the sides of a seasonal stream bed / ravine.

Made a little mistake on the lanyard truck anchor cinch (2:49 in the video), counter clockwise would have been better in hindsight. Also there was a brief and unexpected rope sit back (9:05 in the video) that is always exciting.

https://youtu.be/eP4hcnTttY0

Wed May 17, 2017 2:27 pm

Post Re: Traversing tree to tree using a grapnel & 2 short throwl
Great inspiration! Need to get me some traverse time in. Yeah it took me more times than it should've to internalize which direction to send the carabiner around the trunk or a limb when I set a cinched anchor. Sometimes it doesn't matter but many times it does, it's good seeing the problem illustrated in your video, I've made the same mistake many times. Great problem solving using the second throwline to retrieve the grapnel. It's interesting, it solves the problem of how to set a traverse when the length of the traverse is longer than the height of the destination anchor limb. In that scenario the "traditional" Dangle Technique (DT?) won't work so a second throwline to get the grapnel back is a cool strategy.
-AJ

Fri May 19, 2017 9:30 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]