View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Using a trap to rescue a cat 

Post Using a trap to rescue a cat
Had an interesting cat rescue over the weekend. Cat was perched at about 50' in a swamp white oak along side the Concord River, Billerica, Massachusetts. I set a rope at the highest reasonable anchor approx. 80' using my big slingshot (Sidewinder/Big Shot hybrid). I base anchored a 200' line to climb SRT using a Rope Wrench and hitch system.

The owners informed me that the cat was very skitttish, it would allow only one member of the family to reliably pick it up. When I got to the cat it moved way out on a small diameter horizontal limb. I could get to it but by the cat's behavior it looked like it would jump if I tried. I improvised a feeding station with a small snow shovel blade to draw the cat back in and to nourish it. I left the scene and called an animal rescue organization requesting to borrow a live catch trap. Drove about an hour to get the trap, returned and installed it before sunset.

It's very tricky to put a trap in a tree, there's no level and nothing is convenient to tie into. The goal of the install is to make the trap very stable, if it rocks or wiggles the cat won't get in. I placed a folded towel on the floor of the trap to create a safe feel and covered it with a small tarp. I used a model 30D Tru Catch trap, very well made and an excellent overall design, the door release seems less touchy than a Havaheart style trap. My main worry was that a change of direction in the limb near the entrance to the trap might cause the cat to contact the door before it went in and release the trigger. Turns out that didn't happen. Around 3:30 AM the owner spotted the cat sitting on top of the trap. It was a windy night and that alone may have pushed the cat in towards the trap, by sunrise the cat was captured.

True Catch 30D

Rescue wrap up: https://vimeo.com/262692768

-AJ

Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:01 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]